Saturday, December 5, 2015

The Pip-Boy is Back

Much to everyone's surprise, the Fallout 4 - Pip-Boy Edition is back in stock at Amazon for every system, PS4, XBone, and PC. I have to admit to a certain schadenfreude watching the prices on Ebay collapse as the scalpers desperately try to unload their stock.

That said, I really wish Bethesda would release both the Pip-Boy and the case separately. They're fun little props, but I just can't bring myself to buy another copy of the game to get my hands on them. I'm also...horrors...a bit disappointed in "Fallout 4". I fell in love with "Fallout: New Vegas" because of the strong story, characters, and, most importantly, the worldbuilding. Ultimately, very little of the main plot in "Fallout 4" makes any sense. They spent years iterating concept artwork to create a world that looked unique and believable, and it looks great. Sadly, Bethesda didn't spend nearly enough time conceptualizing the world itself. I'm still holding out hope that next year's DLC can salvage the game, much as "Broken Steel" fixed the bizarre storyline of "Fallout 3".



2 comments:

bea said...

You outta give a quick plot synopsis for this (Video game series?) Because I CAN'T be the only one who doesn't know about it. Been watching your site for years and it seems like you kinda "all of a sudden" started featuring it. Which is COOL and all, the props look great. Through osmosis I think it's a post 1950'esqe Post-nuclear universe? Close? Not at all?

Propnomicon said...

@ bea

I became a Fallout fan on 12/28/2014. I'd heard good things about it and it was on sale on Steam for something like $3.99. Downloaded "New Vegas" and absolutely fell in love with it.

The world is an alternate history where the pulp future of the 50's came to pass. FO 1, 2, and New Vegas are set on the west coast, while 3 and 4 are east coast cities. I'd suggest waiting until "New Vegas" goes on sale again on Steam to try it for yourself. It's easily the best written of all the games.