Monday, February 21, 2011

Burn, Baby, Burn

Dammit, even if I'm falling apart I'm going to make sure there's a post every day. Heh.

I've been stretching myself a bit thin over the past two months and it finally caught up with me this weekend. Remember that bout with the flu earlier this month? Well, it never really went away. It just smoldered, leading to the combination of bronchitis and a nasty sinus infection that currently has me laid low. That's the bad news.

The good news is that everything else has just been going spectacularly well. Thanks to the popularity of the mummified vampire heart gaff from last year I've been lucky enough to get a steady stream of commissions for sideshow-style specimens and presentations. Much of that has been from the magic community, which is why there's been a dearth of projects getting featured lately. I like to share things, but one of the necessities of the illusionist trade is a certain level of secrecy. I just can't post pictures and detailed descriptions of a prop on the web when it's whole reason for existence is it's unique nature.

At the same time I've rather improbably found myself returning to broadcasting. That's also been going swimmingly, which is downright shocking considering my disdain for what the business has become. If anyone had suggested a year ago that I'd be enjoying a stint in front of a microphone again I would have laughed in their face.

Unfortunately, all this wonderful good news is just killing me.

Between the radio gig, propmaking, and my voiceover work I've been consistently running a 3:00 AM to 9:00 PM schedule since the start of the year. Day in, day out, weekdays and weekends. And in the past week I've started showing the inevitable signs of burnout, both physically and mentally.

First off, I want to apologize to anyone that has emailed me in the last week. I have over a hundred messages I haven't even looked at. It's going to take some time to get through them all, but I will get to every one by the end of the week.

Secondly, the Miskatonic University project is on track despite my egregious lack of updates. I'll have the update issue taken care of later this week as well, and the whole project will be wrapping up next week or the week after (taking into account a possible shipping delay on the pennants). That's almost exactly in line to the original schedule. As always, donors just have to ask to get a full refund.

Finally, I should start having more substantive posts soon. Once I get the current backlog of projects cleared I'm going to be far more realistic about my time investments.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, bud. :) You're doing good, and I check this blog daily.

-Josh/rollerboi

CoastConFan said...

For Shoggoth’s sake don’t let the bronchitis-sinus-fatigue triad drag you down to collapse! Take care of your self, because I need my daily fix of Propnomicon.

LoneIslander said...

I've been off the blogging ball as well with real life piling up.

Anonymous said...

Get well soon! I really appreciate your work!
So long and good luck with your projects.

Phil said...

Please take care of yourself. Lifes to short to let it get you down.

I was going to send you some pics of some of my latest projects, but I'll save them til lifes eased up on you a bit.

retromancy said...

Always enjoy your blog - hope you are feeling better soon.

Tutos Toshop said...

Take a breath, heal yourself, take care of you, and keep calm, you're blog is just fantastic !

ToNToN CoPT said...

Take a breath, heal yourself, take care of you, and keep calm, you're blog is just fantastic !

Anonymous said...

Does your station stream on the Internet? It would be neat to be able to tune in to your show.