Saturday, March 14, 2009

Jade Cthulhu Idol: Take Two

I decided to take some new pictures of this Cthulhu idol for two reasons. One, it's heading off to a new home soon and I wanted some snapshots before I pack it up. Two, my photography setup has significantly improved since I took the pictures in the original post. I'm still a crappy photographer, and I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm still using a Canon A-20 digital camera that I bought almost ten years ago, but the new light tent somewhat compensates for even those drawbacks.



The beauty shot. There are better Cthulhu sculpts out there, to be sure, but I like how "alien" this depiction is.



From the side. This view gives you a better feel for the proportions of the finished idol.

While there's a lot of room for improvement in my sculpting skills, I'm rather proud of how well the jade finish came out. After painting the whole idol with a base coat of dark green I stippled on two lighter shades of green to create the marbling effect, then coated the whole thing in a couple of layers of clear acrylic.

1 comment:

Philippe universe@noos.fr said...

Hi,
It is a superb work. Congratulations!
If you happen to sell your artefacts, don't hesitate to tell me!
Anyway, thanks for this artful vision.
Best regards,
Philippe